I know it’s been a while, but I’m back with a new recipe and it’s something that I don’t normally eat. Just the thought of Meatloaf actually puts a frown on my face! I think the last time I ate Meatloaf, I was probably a little girl and I had to eat it for nourishment because you know you ate whatever Mama cooked lol. To me Meatloaf was just a dressed up hamburger cooked in a loaf pan, which by the way, I didn’t even own one lol, with tomato paste/sauce on it and sorry, that just didn’t appeal to me in the least. I think then was when I just developed an attitude against said Meatloaf. Well, that brings us to last week, I saw my girl, SmartNSassyMom’s tweet of an Everyday Meatloaf and I was so curious because it seemed so easy to make and was not like the traditional Meatloaf with Tomato Paste on top that I grew up eating. It actually seemed appetizing and appealing to my palette lol. Check out the recipe below:
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons grated onion $
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground sirloin $
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- Combine first 8 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl; stir gently to combine. Spread beef mixture evenly in a 9 1/2-inch microwave-safe loaf dish coated with cooking spray; do not pack beef mixture into dish. Loosely cover with a paper towel. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Sprinkle meat loaf with cheese; broil 3 minutes or until browned.
Take a look at how my Everyday Meatloaf faired:
It was seriously, just that simple! My husband was curious how was I going to make Meatloaf that fast, but it was served to him in a jiffy. We try to eat low carb/clean during the week, so I just served it with steamed Squash, Zucchini and Onions.
Verdict: It was a hit in my house and I will definitely make it again.
Mods: I was too lazy to cut up any onions, so I just used the about 4 tablespoons of Tomato Trinity = Tomatoes, Onions and Bell Pepper.
If you like Meatloaf, you should definitely give it a whirl!